Can't stop thinking about creating...at work.
I am sitting at work again, as usual. I felt I just had to write about how I can't stop thinking about creating. Ever since we learned how to make a site, the last think I can think about is German class, grocery shopping, or even working at the E-Center. All I want to do is have a couple of hours to just work on some new websites that have been going through my head. It made me realize the difference in the medium. There are artists who just want to draw or paint, and depending upon what your medium of choice is, you are limited. It challenges the idea that art is art. In my case art is not art. I don't just want to draw, I want to be tested with a software I am still learning and be challenged on how I can take my drawing ablilities and smash the mediums together. How can I best show my abilities as an artist on the web. How can I show my passions and love for my son and everything that is important to me on a medium that I interact with everyday. The public nature of the internet and unbound limitations make it such a unique medium. I am going to visit my mother in India and I can show her the work, and shit, if I have access to Dreamweaver, actually work on it.
That also bring up a good point however. With such possibilities, there are also such limitations. No matter how much I have the urge to work, the fact that I don't have the software in my possesion totally screws me. Drawing is possible with any pen, pencil, marker or writing utencil and a surface to capture it. While creating a site, scanning in photos, making flash movies are impossible without the income of the upperclass in our society. This limits the medium to only be available to the select few. Granted there are free copies and pirated versions, but they are still limited to someone having the right connections. It reminds me of the camera when first invented. It is such a great way to express and create art, but started out as only limited to the rich and few.
Wow, what a sign of the times and a true reflection of our generation.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home