Saturday, October 15, 2005

Net.art Article

For an especially tintalating read, be sure to check out the article on net.art:
http://ricksilva.net/digitalone/greene.pdf


I admit that I am being overly cynical. The article, "slash novel" is a monotone introduction to a new world. Anyone with any art background has heard of art movements and specific social groups made up of artists pushing the edge. Artists who braught us Expressionism, Bauhaus, etc... This article introduces us to a movement of our generation. One that is only limited by one's knowledge of the medium and not by their age location on this globe.

The movement itself blows me away. There is something unique about this medium compared to its predecessors. In the past, artist would create art for people to view and and to some extent, in the form of performance art, actually interact and experience. This of course is debatable and I am probably getting in a little over my head, but there is something different with the art dicussed in this article. I guess what I am trying to say is that I am a little overwhelmed at the thought that "this world" is considered art.

From my understanding, this art is the understanding and display of this online world. The forms vary from people making visual based ascetics, all the way to hackers displaying the true identity of the technology through its vulnerability. It creates so many discussions on what is art and what is not. Almost the same dicussions made with Duechamp's "Decending A Staicase."

What is also neat to think about is the affect this art has on the rest of the world and how it is almost a forced interaction of the common population. Someone can create a virus in the name of art that will fly through the rest of the world causing mass computer desruction. Working for a spyware removal software company puts me in a unique perspective. I can work for a company that was built soley on the ability of other people's experimintation and skill of the internet. I am referring to the "artists" creating spyware, malware, keyloggers, trojans and other fun explorations of creativity of course. The company I work for can't sell anything to someone who does not go online. Using the internet has forced the world to interact, whether we like it or not.

The net.art article has given me an introduction to this art movement. It is an introduction to artists who are creating and pushing this internet world, the same as artsits have done with differnet mediums in the past. Damn this is exciting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home